Varicose Veins Feeling Itchy? Here’s a Few Ways to Help.
Dealing with varicose veins is never any fun. It can be itchy and uncomfortable and requires you to change a lot of things about your daily routine. If you have itchy varicose veins and they are driving you crazy, a few things that you can try to help with this include:
- Creams: You may find that a corticosteroid cream is a great way to reduce inflammation, which can help reduce the itching.
- Antihistamine: This medicine is a good option to reduce the chemical known as histamine, which will reduce itchy skin.
- Antibiotics: Only use these with help from your doctor. If you are itching because the sores on your veins get infected, then an antibiotic may be a way to help.
- Dressings: Any time there is an open wound present, your doctor may work with you to add a special covering to promote healing. Compression stockings can help improve blood circulation so the itching stops.
- Surgery: This method may be used by your doctor if none of the other methods seem to bring relief.
- Sclerotherapy: This is when your doctor will add medication into the veins. This helps to irritate the veins enough to cause scars to form and this closes up the vein.
- Laster treatment: Intense light will be used in this treatment to help cure smaller veins and make them disappear.
- Endoscopic vein surgery: If your doctor uses this, they will make a small cut and then insert a tube with a camera into your vein. There is a device found on the camera that can help close up the vein and make it heal.
- Endovenous ablation therapy: This is similar to the other option but a catheter is inserted into the vein. A laser is put into the catheter to help close that vein up.
- Ambulatory phlebectomy: This option has your doctor make smaller incisions in the skin so they can remove the veins near the surface.
- Vein stripping: The doctor will remove the vein using a small incision. It is sometimes used to help with varicose veins.
You and your vascular doctor can discuss which method will provide the most relief when you suffer from itchy varicose veins. Call us to discusse your symptoms 1.888.553.VEINS(8346)
Disclaimer-The contents of the Pinnacle Vein and Vascular Center site, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on the PVVC site (“content”) are for informational purposes only. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on the Pinnacle Vein and Vascular Center site.